[Gretl-devel] Re: Bug reported at weekend

Gordon Hughes G.A.Hughes at ed.ac.uk
Fri Oct 17 10:55:03 EDT 2008

I apologise for not following up the replies to my e-mail earlier in
this week, but I have been preoccupied with other business - in part
the result of difficulties in trying to get Linux to work reliably on
a new Thinkpad instead of Windows Vista.  The distributions I started
with - Mandriva & Ubuntu - were unable to handle the wireless network
and other hardware properly.  In addition, VMware Server, which I use
to run Windows XP in a virtual machine, has become a large unwieldy beast.

Anyway, the problem raised in Allin's response really concerns the
correct way of dealing with directories when writing sample
scripts.  I have assumed that both of the scripts (example and
function) plus the data are stored in the user's working
directory.  The missing function identified by Allin "sfa_eff" is one
component of the new (renamed) functions that I have not uploaded to
the server, because I wanted to ensure that everything is properly
documented and working reliably under different operating systems.

On my Windows system my working directory is E:\gretl\sfa_work, but
it is different under Linux & Mac OS-X.  Maybe, every sample script
should include an explicit statement of the assumption that is made
along the following lines:

#  IMPORTANT NOTE:
#
#  1.  Before executing this script, store dataset xxx.gdt and script
files xxx.inp
#       and yyy.inp in a single directory - e.g. d:\gretl\work
#
#  2.  Use the GUI command File/Working directory to set this directory
#       - e.g. d:\gretl\work - as your working directory.
#

I can't access the ftp server at Wake Forest, so I have not checked
whether the problem with numerical derivatives still occurs in the
most recent Windows snapshot.

Gordon