[Gretl-devel] note on Rlib

Riccardo (Jack) Lucchetti r.lucchetti at univpm.it
Tue Jul 7 04:47:12 EDT 2009

On Tue, 7 Jul 2009, Talha Yalta wrote:

> I just want to add my 2 cents regarding R integration in gretl.
>
> The concern that the relevancy of gretl may be questionable given that
> R has been so successfull and getting a lot of attention in the recent
> years has been brought in the gretl conference back in Bilbao. Part of
> the concern was that gretl has only a handful of packages where as R
> has thousands of them.
>
> I think that R is great but when it comes to econometrics, gretl is
> probably bigger and this probably won't change in the future as well.
> This is partly because many of the R packages are known to be
> "not-too-good" (to be polite) and there exists a very small number of
> packages relating to econometrics. Also, R packages are perpared and
> maintained (or not maintained) by different different people so it is
> difficult to rate the quality as a whole package for econometrics. R
> is essentially a statistical environment, which represents only a part
> of what econometrics is. It is true that R provides a great basis for
> creating econometrical functions and procedures but so does gretl
> especially in the latest versions and it is getting better and better
> in this department as well.
>
> To my undrestanding, some of the motives for R integration, in the
> past, has been in order to be able to reach functionality not yet
> available in gretl. This includes using R's graphical power. Comparing
> results is probably another important motive as well. In conclusion,
> my humble opinion is that gretl is quickly becoming a great
> environment for econometrics and maybe we should aim at making gretl
> more beautiful and be careful in taking a step that can turn it into a
> freak of nature.

No-one is forcing anyone to use R from within gretl. But you'll agree with
me that having the possibility of interacting in the smoothest possible
way with R is

1) nice to have: hey, this is free software; if R is better than gretl at
something, why not use it?
2) cool, as gretl does R, but R doesn't do gretl :-)
3) attractive for people who like R but would like a friendlier environment
4) totally orthogonal to gretl's future development plans.

So I can't see what the downside is.

Riccardo (Jack) Lucchetti
Dipartimento di Economia
Università Politecnica delle Marche