[Gretl-devel] note on Rlib

Allin Cottrell cottrell at wfu.edu
Tue Jul 7 11:48:27 EDT 2009

On Tue, 7 Jul 2009, Riccardo (Jack) Lucchetti wrote:

> On Tue, 7 Jul 2009, Allin Cottrell wrote:
> > I think it's clear that we need to take some time to get this
> > right.  I propose to leave Rlib interaction as a "hidden",
> > experts-only, thing in 1.8.2 (and I won't yet attempt to add it to
> > the Windows build).  We can figure out the details for 1.8.3.
>
> Agreed!

Still all hidden, but I've just added a couple of things
provisionally.

* A "set" variable named "R_functions".  Unless this is set "on"
gretl will not attempt to look up R functions.  (This doesn't
affect the existing "foreign" machanisms.)  I didn't call the
variable "R_support" because that seemed too general: some level
of R support is on by default and I don't suppose we want to
change that.

* Provisional namespace "R_*" for R function lookup. I agree with
Sven that "R." might be nicer syntax but that would be harder to
implement given our current use of "."; this is just quick and
dirty for now.

The above applies to both built-in R functions such as "choose"
and to ad hoc R functions defined via a "foreign" block.

Revised sample scripts:

<script>
set R_functions on
# call R's "choose"