[Gretl-devel] note on Rlib

Allin Cottrell cottrell at wfu.edu
Wed Jul 8 17:23:50 EDT 2009

On Tue, 7 Jul 2009, Allin Cottrell wrote:

> Still all hidden, but I've just added a couple of things
> provisionally...

A few more developments.  First, you can pass series arguments to
R functions and they'll be converted to matrices.  Second, I've
tried virtualizing the R functions we use in gretl_foreign.c.
I've got this to work on Linux -- not linking against libR.so, but
dlopen'ing it instead.

There's code in place that should do the same trick on Windows if
R.dll is installed, but I haven't managed to test it yet.  If
anyone would like to have a go with the current snapshot
(1.8.2cvs), here's a little test script:

<script>
open data4-1
set R_functions on
foreign language=RLib
  ols<-function(y,x) {
    m <- lm(y~x+1)
    b <- as.matrix(coefficients(m))
    invisible(b)
  }
end foreign
set messages off
matrix rb = R_ols(price, sqft)
rb
</script>

It may be that using dlopen is a good way to go on all platforms,
rather than linking to libR at compile time.

Allin.