[Gretl-devel] plot export problems with pdf (and eps)

Talha Yalta talhayalta at gmail.com
Thu Sep 10 04:05:26 EDT 2009

I also agree with Sven and Ignacio. Improvements regarding
visualization are always greatly appreciated*.
Cheers
Talha

* Doesn't mean that other improvements are not sometimes greatly appreciated :-)

On Thu, Sep 10, 2009 at 10:35 AM, Ignacio Diaz-Emparanza
<ignacio.diaz-emparanza at ehu.es> wrote:
> On Miércoles, 9 de Septiembre de 2009 19:42:01 Sven Schreiber escribió:
>> Dear all,
>>
>> [first I thought of sending this to the users list, but it's neither
>> asking for help nor giving useful advice, so here it goes to gretl-devel
>> instead]
>>
>> today I had to add the (hopefully) finishing touch to a paper, and that
>> included replacing the png graphics with scalable vector graphic formats
>> (read: pdf). Those png graphs had originally been produced with gretl
>> (of course!).
>>
>> The (known, I think) problem was again that all the changes to font
>> sizes and thicker line widths etc. show up fine in the png output
>> produced from gretl's "builtin" gnuplot --well actually there are some
>> issues like overlap of tick labels and axes, but anyway--, but not at
>> all in the pdf (or eps) versions. That was a show-stopper for me once
>> again.
>
> Yes, I remember sometime I had the same problem. With EPS or PDF you can do a
> global scale for a graphic, for example decreasing its size, but then you need
> to increase the thickness of the lines. I did it with R as well. It would be
> very good to have a way to do it directly with gretl.
>
> --
> Ignacio Diaz-Emparanza
> DEPARTAMENTO DE ECONOMÍA APLICADA III (ECONOMETRÍA Y ESTADÍSTICA)
> UPV/EHU
> Avda. Lehendakari Aguirre, 83 | 48015 BILBAO
> T.: +34 946013732 | F.: +34 946013754
> www.et.bs.ehu.es

“Remember not only to say the right thing in the right place, but far
more difficult still, to leave unsaid the wrong thing at the tempting
moment.” - Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)