[Gretl-devel] gretl on ubuntu 11.04 (known bug)

Riccardo (Jack) Lucchetti r.lucchetti at univpm.it
Thu May 19 11:01:24 EDT 2011

On Thu, 19 May 2011, Sven Schreiber wrote:

> Hi,
> I just ran into the problem of not being able to use the default gretl
> version in the current Ubuntu 11.04.
>
> I know the problem is fixed in a later gretl version; however, to a
> normal user it just looks as if it doesn't work, end of story. And given
> the popularity of Ubuntu, I think this is bad for gretl's reputation and
> its adoption.
>
> So I would advocate one of two solutions:
>
> - either the package maintainer (who is that for Ubuntu?) backports the fix
> - alternatively (or minimally) I think the issue should be mentioned on
> the gretl frontpage, and workarounds should be explained
>
> Or am I missing something?

I have the feeling that there's little we can on this side of things. A
bug has been open in the Ubuntu bug database since February, and the
correct procedure for having this fixed was posted on 30/4 (see
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gretl/+bug/720089). I would
guess it's now up to Canonical to include 1.9.5 from Debian sid in their
updates. I have no idea of what we could do to speed things up.

Riccardo (Jack) Lucchetti
Dipartimento di Economia
Università Politecnica delle Marche

r.lucchetti at univpm.it