[Gretl-devel] gretl on ubuntu 11.04 (known bug)

Riccardo (Jack) Lucchetti r.lucchetti at univpm.it
Thu May 19 11:49:50 EDT 2011

On Thu, 19 May 2011, Sven Schreiber wrote:

>> I have the feeling that there's little we can on this side of things. A
>> bug has been open in the Ubuntu bug database since February, and the
>> correct procedure for having this fixed was posted on 30/4 (see
>> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gretl/+bug/720089). I would
>> guess it's now up to Canonical to include 1.9.5 from Debian sid in their
>> updates. I have no idea of what we could do to speed things up.
>>

> I see; so it's about communicating the workaround/interim solution to
> the users. For example, is it confirmed that the debian package really
> works on Ubuntu without problems? I mean I will try it out myself, but
> with n=1 or n=2 it is not a very strict test. If the debian packages
> work, I suggest that the gretl frontpage should have direct links to
> those packages and an explanation for Ubuntu 11.04 users.

On the one hand, you're right: if the sid package is ok for you, it does
not mean necessarily that it works for everybody else. But on the other,
ubuntu is not debian: they don't support as many software architecures etc
etc, so if it works ok on a fresh standard install, chances are there
shouldn't be any problem.

I have 10.10 on my laptop but I don't really feel like upgrading
(actually, I'm toying with the idea of replacing it with linux mint).
Neither I have time to set up a virtual machine at the moment to try
things out. If you - and possibly somenone else on the list - could try
1.9.5 from debian unstable and report what happens, we could put a
reasonably informed word of advice on gretl's web page.

Riccardo (Jack) Lucchetti
Dipartimento di Economia
Università Politecnica delle Marche

r.lucchetti at univpm.it