[Gretl-devel] gretl on ubuntu 11.04 (known bug)

Allin Cottrell cottrell at wfu.edu
Fri May 20 06:54:10 EDT 2011

On Fri, 20 May 2011, Sven Schreiber wrote:

> Am 20.05.2011 08:00, schrieb Riccardo (Jack) Lucchetti:
> > On Thu, 19 May 2011, Sven Schreiber wrote:
> >>
> >> Actually 1.9.5 is already in "testing", it seems. I needed to install
> >> libgmp10 as well (plus libgretl1 and gretl-common of course), but
> >> everything looks good so far. This is on 32bit Ubuntu 11.04 running in
> >> classic mode (gnome, not unity). Tomorrow I can test on 64bit and on
> >> unity as well.
>
> And it works there, too. Of course the unity interface probably isn't
> very compatible with gretl's UI concept, because the menu bar is at the
> top of the screen, detached from the window. It's very nice if you have
> a maximized window, but not so with multiple windows. (Anybody knows how
> to change that without deactivating unity altogether?)
>
> > Just so everybody knows: Dirk has just uploaded to sid an updated
> > version with no visible changes to the end user (it just removes an
> > unnecessary dependency). It should enter into testing in 10 days. From a
> > practical point of view, using 1.9.5-1 (currently in testing) or 1.9.5-2
> > (now in unsatable) should make no difference to anyone.
> >

> Apropos: In the changelog for 1.9.5-1 it says: " * debian/rules: Still
> configure with  '--disable-sse2'" Does that mean that SSE2 (for RNG
> AFAIK) is not enabled here?

Sven and Jack -- thanks for working on this. I have limited
internet access at the moment. I agree it would be a good idea to
put something on the gretl website about this.

As for SSE2, Dirk and I had some emails back and forth a few weeks
back, and there's (now) no inherent reason for using SSE2 on
suitable architectures.