[Gretl-devel] icon suggestions

Sven Schreiber svetosch at gmx.net
Sun May 29 19:32:47 EDT 2011

Hi,

I have some suggestions to replace some of the icons in gretl. As a
source gallery I have looked at www.iconspedia.com/search/gnome/ but I'm
no expert and this has been totally arbitrary. If you know of any more
compatible or cross-platform-friendly icons I'm happy to hear about them
and browse through them.

(Caveat: I don't fully understand how theme-ing affects the displayed
icons in gretl, or where do the icons come from in the Win and Mac
versions.)

Considerable improvements possible (= where the current situation kind
of irritates me):

- user manual (in the toolbar, and in the help menu):
http://www.iconspedia.com/icon/gnome-system-help-11166.html

- why not make identical the command ref icons in the toolbar and in the
help menu?

- new script (in the toolbar):
http://www.iconspedia.com/icon/gnome-document-new-10-83.html, although I
would prefer to have the icon show a document with lines (as in lines of
code)

- maybe instead of the beta-hat icon use an icon explicitly showing the
letters "OLS", in a fancy font? (and no, not translateable)

- in the tools-> gretl console menu item use the same icon as in the toolbar

- tools -> settings (or is it options):
http://www.iconspedia.com/icon/gnome-preferences-desktop-11136.html

Only marginal improvements (= where current icons are pretty much ok IMO):
- start calculator (in the toolbar):
http://www.iconspedia.com/icon/gnome-accessories-calculator-10-36.html

I'm aware that a more thorough overhaul of the icon situation would also
seem natural after these suggestions, but I thought I might just start
somewhere. Also I expect that not everybody would like the changes.

cheers,