[Gretl-devel] minus sign in gretl output

Allin Cottrell cottrell at wfu.edu
Sun Apr 1 17:20:05 EDT 2012

In http://lists.wfu.edu/pipermail/gretl-devel/2012-March/003881.html
Talha wrote:

> I also noticed [...] that the minus characters in English and the
> Turkish translations are different. The former uses "-" while the
> latter uses "-".

The minus sign in gretl output is represented in one of two ways:
the "dumb" way is to use ASCII 0x2d (all-purpose hyphen or dash) and
the "smart" way is to use the Unicode minus sign (U+2212).

We use the smart way if the locale character set is UTF-8 and the
selected font supports U+2212. If you're not seeing a proper minus
sign in Turkish output, that's probably because your locale
character set is ISO-8859-9 rather than UTF-8. You should be able to
fix that with

sudo localedef -i tr_TR -f UTF-8 tr_TR

(I see the correct minus in Turkish gretl on Linux.)