[Gretl-devel] minus sign in gretl output

Allin Cottrell cottrell at wfu.edu
Sun Apr 1 18:42:12 EDT 2012

On Mon, 2 Apr 2012, Sven Schreiber wrote:

> Well I don't think mailing lists can get geekier than that.... But as
> always it's very well explained!
>
> -sven

Maybe I get a little carried away sometimes ;-)

But here's a P.S.: Talha (or anyone), you cannot rely on characters
in an email message to make the sort of point you were making. In
both Alpine and the gretl-devel archive the two terms of your
comparison appeared as identical -- though I know what you you're
talking about: the ASCII dash is short and fat while the proper
minus sign is longer and thinner.

Allin

> On 04/01/2012 11:20 PM, Allin Cottrell wrote:
>> In http://lists.wfu.edu/pipermail/gretl-devel/2012-March/003881.html
>> Talha wrote:
>>
>>> I also noticed [...] that the minus characters in English and the
>>> Turkish translations are different. The former uses "-" while the
>>> latter uses "-".
>>
>> The minus sign in gretl output is represented in one of two ways:
>> the "dumb" way is to use ASCII 0x2d (all-purpose hyphen or dash) and
>> the "smart" way is to use the Unicode minus sign (U+2212).
>>
>> We use the smart way if the locale character set is UTF-8 and the
>> selected font supports U+2212. If you're not seeing a proper minus
>> sign in Turkish output, that's probably because your locale
>> character set is ISO-8859-9 rather than UTF-8. You should be able to
>> fix that with
>>
>> sudo localedef -i tr_TR -f UTF-8 tr_TR
>>
>> (I see the correct minus in Turkish gretl on Linux.)
>>
>> Allin

Department of Economics
Wake Forest University