[Gretl-devel] 32 bit-64 bit compatibility

Emrah Samdan emrahsamdan at gmail.com
Tue Apr 3 10:15:50 EDT 2012

Hello,

During the time elapsed I have got some more clues. In my program, I am
using the arma estimations. And this problem occurs in the case when my
dependent variable is constant for a long time. When I investigate my log
file it says:

Kalman bla bla returned 36

Deleting var 8 (x1) at list pos 8: all zero

The weird thing is I am handling this situation (If arma returns some
 number other than 0, i am making persistent estimation). When I look at
the results, it seems that it is handled. However, When I look at the task

manager, It seems that Gretl is still working and consuming 98% of CPU. As
I said before, This situation was not present on 32 bit Ubuntu.

I am very thankful for your helps.

2012/4/3 Allin Cottrell <cottrell at wfu.edu>

> On Tue, 3 Apr 2012, Emrah Samdan wrote:
>
> > I have developed a code using the libgretl and it was running on a Ubuntu
> > 11.04 32 bit machine. Then I migrated those code to Fedora 16(64 bit) and
> > compiled it in that machine also. However, while it was running on
> Fedora,
> > sometimes it doesn't quit the program as expected and utilizes 98% of
> CPU.
> > I couldn't get the reason behind this. There was no problem while running
> > on 32 bit Ubuntu.
> >
> > Do you have any idea about this situation ?
>
> Hmm, I'm running current CVS gretl on 64-bit fedora 16 and I'm
> not seeing any problems.
>
> When I started using gretl on a 64-bit system I noticed one
> "64/32" bug: the mechanism for importing data from a RATS
> database was broken due to use of the "long int" type where a
> 32-bit integer was wanted. But that was fixed in the gretl
> 1.9.8 release and I'm not aware of any other word-size issues.
>
> Allin Cottrell

---
Emrah Samdan