[Gretl-devel] on making "const" translatable

Riccardo (Jack) Lucchetti r.lucchetti at univpm.it
Wed Apr 18 11:48:39 EDT 2012

On Wed, 18 Apr 2012, Allin Cottrell wrote:

> On Wed, 18 Apr 2012, Talha Yalta wrote:
>
>> Presenting dozens of regression results with the Turkish
>> translation, I come to think that it would be really useful
>> if the word "const" is marked for translation. The Turkish
>> translation is "sabit" and using this would make so many
>> things look better, more consistent, and more
>> understandable.
>
> I don't object to this. Any thoughts from others?

The problem is, "const" is also a reserved word. I suspect that the
trouble we'd go into would be greater than the benefit. Example: we'd have
to explain to a Turk that he has to use the word "const" in scripts
(otherwise they'd become non-portable), even though that same variable
will be printed out as "sabit", and why. Not sure it's worth the effort.

>> P.S.: I would appreciate if you could also comment on my earlier
>> suggestion regarding the "edit" and "tests" menus in the model window.
>
> I tend to think that tests belong under a "tests" menu, not an
> "edit" menu.

I agree

> I guess I can see a possible case for splitting
> the tests menu in some way, though I'm not sure exactly where
> one would put a line between "specification" and "diagnostic"
> tests, or if it would really be helpful to do so.

IMO: omit, add, coeffsum and restrict on one side; all the rest on the
other side.

  Dipartimento di Economia

  Università Politecnica delle Marche
  (formerly known as Università di Ancona)

  r.lucchetti at univpm.it
  http://www2.econ.univpm.it/servizi/hpp/lucchetti