[Gretl-devel] on making "const" translatable

Talha Yalta talhayalta at gmail.com
Wed Apr 18 14:57:21 EDT 2012

Thanks for the comment. I think using "const" in the scripts should
not be a problem since all commands are in English and one has to
learn a whole bunch of them if one needs to program. This can be
considered something related to the input-output dichotomy that was
discussed before.

Cheers
Talha

On Wed, Apr 18, 2012 at 6:48 PM, Riccardo (Jack) Lucchetti
<r.lucchetti at univpm.it> wrote:
> On Wed, 18 Apr 2012, Allin Cottrell wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 18 Apr 2012, Talha Yalta wrote:
>>
>>> Presenting dozens of regression results with the Turkish
>>> translation, I come to think that it would be really useful
>>> if the word "const" is marked for translation. The Turkish
>>> translation is "sabit" and using this would make so many
>>> things look better, more consistent, and more
>>> understandable.
>>

>> I don't object to this. Any thoughts from others?
>

> The problem is, "const" is also a reserved word. I suspect that the trouble
> we'd go into would be greater than the benefit. Example: we'd have to
> explain to a Turk that he has to use the word "const" in scripts (otherwise
> they'd become non-portable), even though that same variable will be printed
> out as "sabit", and why. Not sure it's worth the effort.
>

>>> P.S.: I would appreciate if you could also comment on my earlier
>>> suggestion regarding the "edit" and "tests" menus in the model window.
>>

>> I tend to think that tests belong under a "tests" menu, not an
>> "edit" menu.
>

> I agree
>

>> I guess I can see a possible case for splitting
>> the tests menu in some way, though I'm not sure exactly where
>> one would put a line between "specification" and "diagnostic"
>> tests, or if it would really be helpful to do so.
>

> IMO: omit, add, coeffsum and restrict on one side; all the rest on the other
> side.

>  Riccardo (Jack) Lucchetti
>  Dipartimento di Economia
>
>  Università Politecnica delle Marche
>  (formerly known as Università di Ancona)
>
>  r.lucchetti at univpm.it
>  http://www2.econ.univpm.it/servizi/hpp/lucchetti

“An expert is a person who has made all the mistakes that can be made
in a very narrow field.” - Niels Bohr (1885-1962)