[Gretl-devel] Gretl's current standing

Sven Schreiber svetosch at gmx.net
Fri Feb 3 14:43:48 EST 2012

Am 03.02.2012 17:15, schrieb Talha Yalta:

> Since there is a high chance that some people will ask questions like
> "Is gretl any better than Package X?" I wanted to pick your brain on
> gretl's current standing in the _commercial_ competition. These people
> are mostly familiar with Eviews, Stata, GAUSS, MATLAB, SAS, WinRATS
> and mainly with Eviews and Stata. (I know some of these packages
> should not be compared with gretl and I know the advantages of free
> and open source software).

I'd say that gretl has more (useful) features than Eviews in the
cointegration and VECM area. (probably also than Stata, but I haven't
used very recent Stata versions in this context)

Also, the auto-omit option is a nice little feature of gretl which in
principle is not a big deal, but is very useful in practice, and I don't
think that Eviews has that.

About gretl's RNG capabilities you are well informed yourself ;-) The
same probably goes for the numerical reliability.

These are just the things off the top of my head. There's probably more
if I were to think longer about it.

cheers,