[Gretl-devel] time for 1.9.8?

Talha Yalta talhayalta at gmail.com
Sat Feb 25 06:15:56 EST 2012

For what it's worth, I think (1) tabs in GUI and (2) mature and
reliable platform for developing addon packages are really 2 nice
features that can alone justify a 2.0 release (along with a few
goodies). Unfortunately (but as always) the resources are limited.

At this point I would like to ask: Is there a standard way or support
for translating function packages? If not, this may be a good time to
introduce that facility.

I know I have not been able to provide help as much as I want to
(other than translating and bug reporting). This is due to ongoing
tenure applications and other institutional limitations associated
with being a young academician. But I hope to be able to contribute
more over time.

Cheers
Talha

On Sat, Feb 25, 2012 at 6:12 AM, Allin Cottrell <cottrell at wfu.edu> wrote:
> On Sat, 25 Feb 2012, Hélio Guilherme wrote:

>>> There may well be a case for MCMC in C.
>>
>> Translation, please.
>

> Sorry, I was thinking of Markov Chain Monte Carlo simulation.
>

>>> Agreed, but unfortunately it's hard if not impossible to get
>>> seamless cross-referencing across distinct PDF files. Does anyone
>>> have a suggestion other than creating a whopping great PDF
>>> containing both the Guide and the Reference?
>>
>> I suggest TEX2HTML or something like that.
>>
>> You would still author in TEX and produce HTML (both online and offline).
>> I am not talking by experience, but willing to investigate.
>

> We could produce an HTML version of the Guide, yes, but IMO PDF is much
> nicer to read; also the Guide contains some fairly complex mathematical
> notation that is unlikely to work properly.

>>> There should be some PDF magic that makes that possible. Any PDF
>>> jockeys out there?
>>

>> Done some work in this area with professional software and Open Office.
>> Is the idea if open the example in Gretl from a link in the document?
>

> Yes, that's the idea. Since you can do javascript in PDF it shouldn't be a
> big problem. Except that we'd probably want some "client" mechanism for
> gretl so that the instruction would be: launch gretl to open this script, or
> if gretl is already running, tell the running gretl to open the script.
> Right now you can't do the latter... unless you could somehow "fake" a
> drag-and-drop, I wonder if that's possible?
>
> Allin

“An expert is a person who has made all the mistakes that can be made
in a very narrow field.” - Niels Bohr (1885-1962)