[Gretl-devel] Feature request?

Riccardo (Jack) Lucchetti r.lucchetti at univpm.it
Tue Feb 28 11:51:09 EST 2012

On Tue, 28 Feb 2012, Lee Adkins wrote:

> Hi all,
> Using lists is a great time saver in gretl.   I like using lists a
> lot. It's still a bit hard to use them in the GUI, though. So.... I have
> two feature requests.
>
>   1. I'd like to be able to choose a list in the specify model dialog
>   boxes in the GUI.

Oh yes.

>   Also, it would be nice to have a button in the specify model dialogs
>   to take you to the define list dialog.

Better still: select variables from the main window via shift-click,
ctrl-click or whatever, then right-click and choose "make this a list"

>   2. I'd like the ability to specify variables to be included in the
>   modtest --breusch-pagan test statement. (nothing to do with lists, but what
>   the heck).  Something like
>
>         modtest z1 z2 --breusch-pagan
>
>         or even better
>
>         modtest zlist --breusch-pagan

I like this: however, there's a syntax problem; not unsolvable, but a bit
annoying. At present, modtest has one optional argument (a scalar), mainly
used in a time-series context. Allowing for a list makes syntax parsing a
bit more complex. But then, a nice opportunity opens: how about replacing
"add" and "omit" with "modtest <list> --add" and "modtest <list> --omit",
respctively? Clearly, this would be massively backward-incompatible, so
obviously it would be a 2.0 thing; still, in the meantime we could keep
the two.

Riccardo (Jack) Lucchetti
Dipartimento di Economia
Università Politecnica delle Marche