[Gretl-devel] Feature request?

Lee Adkins lee.adkins at okstate.edu
Tue Feb 28 13:25:28 EST 2012

On Tue, Feb 28, 2012 at 10:51 AM, Riccardo (Jack) Lucchetti <
r.lucchetti at univpm.it> wrote:

> On Tue, 28 Feb 2012, Lee Adkins wrote:
>
>  Hi all,
>> Using lists is a great time saver in gretl.   I like using lists a
>> lot. It's still a bit hard to use them in the GUI, though. So.... I have
>> two feature requests.
>>
>>  1. I'd like to be able to choose a list in the specify model dialog
>>  boxes in the GUI.
>>

> Oh yes.
>

>   Also, it would be nice to have a button in the specify model dialogs
>>  to take you to the define list dialog.
>>

> Better still: select variables from the main window via shift-click,
> ctrl-click or whatever, then right-click and choose "make this a list"

Excellent idea!

>   2. I'd like the ability to specify variables to be included in the
>>
>>  modtest --breusch-pagan test statement. (nothing to do with lists, but
>> what
>>  the heck).  Something like
>>
>>        modtest z1 z2 --breusch-pagan
>>
>>        or even better
>>
>>        modtest zlist --breusch-pagan
>>

> I like this: however, there's a syntax problem; not unsolvable, but a bit
> annoying. At present, modtest has one optional argument (a scalar), mainly
> used in a time-series context. Allowing for a list makes syntax parsing a
> bit more complex. But then, a nice opportunity opens: how about replacing
> "add" and "omit" with "modtest <list> --add" and "modtest <list> --omit",
> respctively? Clearly, this would be massively backward-incompatible, so
> obviously it would be a 2.0 thing; still, in the meantime we could keep the
> two.
>
> I like this one too.  It fixes the add/omit 'problem' -- as in what to do
with them.  I wonder if a more flexible version of modtest that could take
more inputs would help?  To maintain backward compatibility it would have
to have a new name -- definitely a version 2.0 thing, though.  On the other
hand, it would be confusing trying to figure out which to use... so maybe
not....

> Riccardo (Jack) Lucchetti
> Dipartimento di Economia
> Università Politecnica delle Marche