[Gretl-devel] named lists in the GUI

Allin Cottrell cottrell at wfu.edu
Wed Feb 29 19:43:31 EST 2012

Second instalment on design suggestions.

Lee Adkins suggested giving named lists of series a more integral
place in the gretl GUI (e.g. in the model specification dialog); and
Jack suggested an easy way of defining a list in the GUI, namely
selecting a bunch of series in the main window, right-clicking, and
choosing "Make this a list" (or some such).

Jack's suggestion would be easy to implement, but before I do that
we need to think through exactly how we might use lists in the GUI.
At present lists are mostly a scripting thing: the main (only?)
exception is the use of lists as arguments to use-defined functions.
If a function package with a GUI interface wants a list of
regressors, for example, the function dialog provides a means of
defining a list (or selecting from among any lists that are already
defined).

How might named lists be brought into the existing model
specification dialog (for built-in estimators)? My first thought is
that the current model specification dialog is nicely simple in some
cases (OLS) and about as complicated as is reasonable in others
(ARMA). We would not want (I think) to introduce an additional
selection box showing lists alongside that showing series. Could we
include lists in the "available series" boxes but colored
differently (series in black, lists in blue or red or something)?

I'm not sure, but I don't want to invest effort in this unless and
until we have a plausible design concept that doesn't make the model
spec dialog fall over from excessive complexity.