[Gretl-devel] $depvar not a series?

Sven Schreiber svetosch at gmx.net
Wed Jul 1 11:48:01 EDT 2015

Am 01.07.2015 um 17:41 schrieb Allin Cottrell:
> On Wed, 1 Jul 2015, Sven Schreiber wrote:

>> eval $depvar    # gives LRM

> "Use versus mention", as W. V. Quine has it. Neither string variables
> nor string literals are ever acceptable as identifiers for series,
> matrices or whatever, in gretl commands. You need the unquoted name, or
> (for series only, in suitable contexts) the ID number. The above is
> basically equivalent to trying
>
> series s1 = "LRM"

Ok thanks for the explanation. If I were picky I might say that 'eval
$depvar' should then print out '"LRM"' instead of just 'LRM', but I'm not.

I had actually tried '@$depvar' but that got gretl choking.

> # use the $ylist accessor (cleaner)

Yeah if I hadn't stopped reading the $ylist help after the first
sentence I would have gotten there myself...

thanks,