[Gretl-devel] smpl <condition> --restrict --permanent

Riccardo (Jack) Lucchetti r.lucchetti at univpm.it
Thu Jul 2 03:57:21 EDT 2015

On Wed, 1 Jul 2015, Allin Cottrell wrote:

> By popular request we introduced (in gretl 1.9.91) the --permanent option for
> the "smpl" command: this enables to the user to apply a sample restriction
> and permanently shrink the dataset to the new specification (as opposed to
> keeping the full dataset in the background).

[...]

> So here's my proposal: in the circumstances described above, if
> you issue a command to shrink the dataset permanently, gretl checks to see
> whether all saved models fall under the "easy case". If so, fine. If not, you
> get a warning that not all saved models can be preserved, with a "Go ahead?
> Yes/No" dialog. If you say "Yes", we destroy all the models that would
> turn into zombies.
>
> Any comments/suggestions?

I'm ok with this. We may offer the option to save them automatically as
bundles so that if you depserately need to retrieve essential stuff from
the (eg coefficients, covariance matrices), you can always do so from the
xml files.

   Dipartimento di Scienze Economiche e Sociali (DiSES)

   Università Politecnica delle Marche
   (formerly known as Università di Ancona)

   r.lucchetti at univpm.it
   http://www2.econ.univpm.it/servizi/hpp/lucchetti