[Gretl-devel] Feature list on the web page

Allin Cottrell cottrell at wfu.edu
Thu Jul 2 09:02:36 EDT 2015

On Thu, 2 Jul 2015, Riccardo (Jack) Lucchetti wrote:

> On Wed, 1 Jul 2015, Allin Cottrell wrote:
>
>> Good points. I have updated the top-level gretl webpage accordingly.
>> Those who maintain translations of the website please note. See
>> http://gretl.cvs.sourceforge.net/viewvc/gretl/gretl/doc/website/template/
>> where the relevant (English) file is index_pat.html.
>
> I would like to propose a few additions/corrections:
>
> * GARCH -> "wide variety of univariate GARCH-type models"
>
> * should we also mention ordere logit and probit, multinomial logit etc?
>
> * "Heckit" is a popular name, but a little frowned upon by some; I quite like
> it as a house term, but on the webpage I would prefer "sample selection
> model"
>
> * Under panel-data estimators, also include probit, ivpanel; use the "GMM"
> catchphrase
>
> * Say something about robust/nonparametric stuff
>
> * "Command loop structure" is obsolete. I'd rather have something more on
> hansl instead. A link to the hansl primer wouldn't hurt, either.
>
> * I'd probably add a few examples of what you can find among contributed
> function packages. Actually, this could somehow be merged with the
> "Contributing to Gretl" section.

More good points. I'll follow these suggestions, except that I won't
attempt to do much with the function packages section for now -- that
seems to me a bigger issue.

> And while we're on the topic, we really ought to have a forum. The wiki
> experiment more or less died a peaceful death, but nowadays I guess that
> people expect to be able to ask questions to "the community" through a forum
> rather than mailing lists. Of course, looking after a forum website is a
> hefty job (it's important to filter spamming etc), so I don't expect anybody
> to volunteer in the next 5 minuts, but let's just say it'd be nice if someone
> stepped up ;)

If we were going to do that, it would make sense to use some existing
machinery such as stackexchange. Any volunteers to find out what
exactly it would involve to set up a gretl "site" there?