[Gretl-devel] scalar function args and NAs

Allin Cottrell cottrell at wfu.edu
Sun Jul 5 11:08:36 EDT 2015

A question has come up as I've thought about user-function
arguments (see also
http://lists.wfu.edu/pipermail/gretl-devel/2015-July/005850.html )

Given a scalar parameter, what do we want to do if the caller supplies
NA as an argument? What difference, if any, should it make if the
parameter is marked as "bool" or "int" rather than plain "scalar"?

The situation prior to my changes of the last couple of days was that
NA was always accepted. But along with fixing the bounds checking for
scalar arguments, I banned NA for bool and int parameters. I've now
had second thoughts (maybe this would break some existing scripts?)
and have reverted to the status quo ante.

But maybe this is something we want to think about. Are there real
use-cases where a function writer would want to accept NA for a bool
or int argument? Or would it be more convenient for the writer not to
have to bother with checking for NAs, in the knowledge that they would
be ruled out by gretl?