[Gretl-devel] mailing list vs. forum

Hélio Guilherme helioxentric at gmail.com
Tue Apr 5 18:07:06 EDT 2016

I never used stackexchange (I do use stackoverflow :) ).
Looking at Area 51 (before becoming public and active), there are some
interesting areas but it shows some difficulties in passing the "public
beta" target. For example, Machine Learning was Closed, and Matlab is open
but with only 33 participants.

I searched with "Applied Mathematics", "Operations Research", "Gretl" and
did not find meaningful groups.
Searching with "Statistics", found "Data Science" in public beta but not in
the criteria to be Launched, and "Statistical Analysis" already Launched.

I searched with "Econometrics" and found "Economics" which is Closed after
206 days in Beta.

(found a community of my interest "Software Quality Assurance & Testing" ;)
)

Well, after these searches I am pessimistic on trying to create a Gretl
community, but if the community would be Econometrics less pessimistic.
Finally, the "Statistical Analysis" community is named, Cross Validated and
the intro text is:

"Cross Validated is a question and answer site for people interested in
statistics, machine learning, data analysis, data mining, and data
visualization. It's 100% free, no registration required."

There are questions specific to applications like R or SPSS, for example:
- "How to analyze 2^k design with replicates in SPSS (or R)?" (no answers)
- "Is there a method to plot the output of a random forest in R?" (two
answers)

This is to conclude that a specific Gretl questions could be asked and
answered there. A search in this community with "Gretl", returned 60
questions, and the following stands out with 11 upvotes to one of the 3
answers:
- "Which statistical software is suitable for teaching an undergraduate
introductory course of statistics in social sciences?"
-- The most voted answer is:
   "Maybe Gretl? http://gretl.sourceforge.net/
    It is free and used at our University for undergraduate statistics."

We can also observe Tags for the questions, like "eviews" and "gretl".

What can Allin and Jack do?
They can add a reference to the community in the users mailing list and
site, for people to search for Q&A like this:
http://stats.stackexchange.com/search?q=Gretl
or just pointing to the community http://stats.stackexchange.com/

(the mailing list should exist for ever!)