[Gretl-devel] gretl on OS X: El Capitan problem

Allin Cottrell cottrell at wfu.edu
Tue Feb 23 12:51:52 EST 2016

On Fri, 12 Feb 2016, Allin Cottrell wrote:

> I've heard off-list from someone who uses gretl on Mac about a nasty
> crashing bug, and I'm able to reproduce it. It seems to be (a) a GTK
> bug and (b) triggered only on El Capitan.
>
> To crash gretl: maximize a gretl window, then mouse up to the top of
> the screen to reveal the window controls and press the close button.
> [...]
>
> As for a fix, I'm working on it but it's tricky. The problem seems
> to lie in GdkQuartz, a component of GTK that's written in Objective
> C using Apple APIs.

I finally managed to find and fix this problem (patch for GTK
submitted). Should be OK in the current snapshot.

There are a few other fixes and changes for the OS X quartz build:

* The action of sending a gnuplot script to gnuplot itself for display
using the wxt terminal was not working. (This is what's supposed to
happen if you have a gnuplot script open in a gretl editor window and
click the "Run" button.) Gnuplot was opening fleetingly then crashing;
now fixed.

* On El Capitan (at least) all newly opened gretl top-level windows
(i.e. not dialog boxes) were being placed at the top-left corner of
the screen. That seems like a window-manager problem, but I've tried
to work around it.

* I've added Adwaita to the choice of GTK themes, and made it the
default.

* Intead of a gzipped DMG file, I'm now distributing the quartz
snapshot as a signed flat package (pkg file). This is because I've
figured out how to produce such a thing on Linux - yay!