[Gretl-devel] Text with focus/highlight in script editor off screen

Allin Cottrell cottrell at wfu.edu
Fri Jul 1 17:16:31 EDT 2016

On Fri, 1 Jul 2016, Sven Schreiber wrote:

> this is an interface annoyance that I've experienced for a while,
> possibly even years. (On Windows, don't know right now if it
> happens on Linux as well.) In the built-in script editor if you're
> typing at the bottom of the screen and then hit return, often it
> happens that the new bottom line isn't shifted up so that it's "in
> full sight". Either it's fully off-window or it might be only
> partly visible.

I haven't yet experimented on Windows, but I can say that on Linux a
GtkText window does not behave quite as I'd expect (from experience
with several editors). That is, if you're typing on the last visible
line in a GtkText window and hit the Enter key, the new (so far,
empty) line does not appear, it's off the bottom of the window.
However, on Linux, as soon as you start typing content into the new
line it is (fully) scrolled on-screen.

> A second variation of this problem is that when I do a text search
> (or search&replace), the highlighted text that was found is also
> in the line that is just below the bottom visible window area, if
> you understand what I mean.

I think I see what you mean, but I'm not seeing that on Linux. Any
line containing a search hit is displayed OK.

I suppose I'll have to check on Windows (ugh). Maybe we can add some
callbacks to GtkText signals that will improve matters.