[Gretl-users] Plotting white noise

Riccardo (Jack) Lucchetti r.lucchetti at univpm.it
Thu Jan 18 16:19:19 EST 2007

On Thu, January 18, 2007 16:42, Peter N. Krembs wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I recently discovered gretl and am very impressed with its functionality
> and
> ease of use.  I do have one question (at the risk of sounding silly): is
> there a function in gretl to plot random numbers along a normal
> distribution
> (i.e., white noise)?

I'm not quite sure I understand, but I take it you want to generate a
sample of n iid normal random variables into a variable x. Say n=100.
Here it is:

a) via the gui:
- File -> New data set -> 100 -> (time series)
- Add -> Random variable -> Normal -> x 0 1

b) via the cli (console or script)

nulldata 100
setobs 1 1
series x = normal()