[Gretl-users] matrix declaration error

Riccardo (Jack) Lucchetti r.lucchetti at univpm.it
Tue Jan 30 11:32:06 EST 2007

On Tue, January 30, 2007 12:56, Sven Schreiber wrote:

> (btw, a vertical concatenation operator wouldn't hurt ;-)

I was thinking the same thing a few weeks ago. The one thing that stopped
me from implementing this is that the "|" character, almost unversally
used to indicate vertical concatenation in matrix languages, is already
taken by the "or" operation.

It it feasible, in principle, to distinguish between the two uses:
theoretically, given the expression "a | b" we first check that a and b
are matrices with the same number of columns; if not, "|" should be
interpreted as "or". I fear this could end up being a bit confusing,
though.

Opinions?

ps Sven, Allin and I have been adding quite a few matrix functions
lately. I have the feeling that at least some of your python programs
(excellent style, by the way) could be written directly in CVS gretl now.
Do you feel like giving it a try?

Riccardo (Jack) Lucchetti
Dipartimento di Economia
Facoltà di Economia "G. Fuà"