Ang. [Gretl-users] t-distribution in p-value finder

Allin Cottrell cottrell at wfu.edu
Sun Jun 10 06:27:48 EDT 2007

On Fri, 8 Jun 2007, Sven Schreiber wrote:

> I would argue that a noncentral t is not t just like the noncentral
> chi^2 is not chi^2. Or are there plans to subsume the noncentral chi^2
> under the chi^2 as well?
>
> Anyway I needed to explain to students in class today what it means or
> why it's ok to leave at the defaults, and the small confusion that it
> created is unnecessary IMHO. So if non-central t is really needed (is
> it?) couldn't it be separated from t more clearly?

I've removed the offending parameters from the "t" tab in the
p-value finder.

The notion was this: if you wanted to compute a p-value for a
certain coefficient estimate, given a hypothesized value of the
parameter in question and a standard error, you could enter the
latter two numbers as the "mean" and "standard deviation"
respectively.  That is, it would automate the calculation of the
actual t-value before finding the p-value.  But if this is
confusing I'm OK about removing it.

Allin.