[Gretl-users] Cannot Find Font Arial

Allin Cottrell cottrell at wfu.edu
Sat Apr 11 10:06:17 EDT 2009

On Sat, 11 Apr 2009, Riccardo (Jack) Lucchetti wrote:

> On Fri, 10 Apr 2009, Paul Jones wrote:
>
> > Hi, I tried what Mr. Lucchetti suggested and sure enough it
> > worked, and I did see a graph from gnuplot. So that means the
> > problem must have been with the version of gnuplot in debian
> > unstable.
>
> If gretl and gnuplot don't play nice with each other in
> unstable, it's probably appropriate to file a bug report to the
> Debian guys. The Debian package maintainer for gretl, Dirk
> Eddelbuettel has done an outstanding job for years and I am
> certain he would take care of the issue appropriately, although
> in my eyes it's not a gretl bug, but rather a gnuplot bug.

Agreed.  I think the most relevant experiment would be to try
generating a PNG file manually using Debian's gnuplot 4.2.5,
e.g. using the simple example I gave in

http://lists.wfu.edu/pipermail/gretl-users/2009-April/003112.html

set term png
set output 'sin.png'
plot sin(x)

If that produces _something_ one could then try specifying a
truetype font that is known to be available on the system (such
as, perhaps, Vera or FreeSans or DejaVuSans), e.g.

set term png font FreeSans

If that provokes a gnuplot error then it is a packaging bug:
gnuplot can't find the fonts that it should be able to find.