[Gretl-users] Cannot Find Font Arial

Allin Cottrell cottrell at wfu.edu
Sun Apr 12 00:10:55 EDT 2009

On Sat, 11 Apr 2009, Paul Jones wrote:

> I tried what Mr. Cottrell suggested, and I can produce a png file of sin(x)
> using gnuplot in unstable. But no matter how I try to set those
> environmental variables I can't get Gretl to switch fonts and work.

I expected you'd be able to get a PNG file of some sort -- but
were you able to specify a truetype font?  Perhaps the easiest way
to see this is in an interactive gnuplot session.  Using the stock
gnuplot on Ubuntu 8.04, I get:

allin at myrtle:~$ /usr/bin/gnuplot

        G N U P L O T
        Version 4.2 patchlevel 2
        last modified 31 Aug 2007
        System: Linux 2.6.24-23-generic...

gnuplot> set term png font FreeSans
Terminal type set to 'png'
Could not find/open font when opening font FreeSans, using default
Options are 'nocrop medium '

But, setting the environment variable...

allin at myrtle:~$ GDFONTPATH=/usr/share/fonts/truetype/freefont \
 /usr/bin/gnuplot

        G N U P L O T
        Version 4.2 patchlevel 2
        last modified 31 Aug 2007