[Gretl-users] Correcting for inflation (revisited)

Allin Cottrell cottrell at wfu.edu
Fri Apr 17 10:33:34 EDT 2009

On Sat, 11 Apr 2009, Raz Lev wrote, in regard to adding a
time-series variable to an existing panel dataset:

> the problem I have was 'matching' the CPI data to the records -
> I have 400,000 records and was not sure how to match the right
> CPI to each one...

And I responded with an illustrative script that would take the
straight time-series CPI input and, via an intermediary matrix,
"panelize" the data.

That script was OK but I seriously missed a trick.  Gretl is
cleverer than you think!  In fact all you have to do is use the
"append" command.  If the time-series length of the data you are
appending matches the number of time periods in the panel, gretl
automatically does the right thing -- no need to mess with
matrices.  I'd forgotten about that facility.