[Gretl-users] On Propagation Of GRETL (fwd)

Allin Cottrell cottrell at wfu.edu
Wed Apr 29 11:53:17 EDT 2009

Hello all,

I recently heard from a Free Software advocate in India who makes
a good point.  His mail reads, in part:

"Though I don't know econometrics I have followed the development
of GRETL with some interest since I am both a teacher and student
of economics from India and a partisan of Free Software.

"However the majority of my friends, colleagues and acquaintances
who are into econometrics don't warm up to GRETL because there is
no step-by-step migration guide from their current econometrics
software to GRETL. I request you to consider including a lengthy
section or brief chapter in the User Manual of GRETL of a
step-by-step migration guide for

1. Migration from Stata to GRETL
2. Migration from SPSS to GTRETL
3. Migration from Eviews to GRETL

"E.g: If AAA is done this way in Stata then AAA is done in that
way in GRETL. If this can be done, I believe an important blow can
be struck at the hegemony of proprietary software in the field of
Econometrics."

I think this is an excellent idea (in particular with regard to
Stata and Eviews).  Any volunteers for writing some material on
this?  I'm not a good candidate myself since I spend all of my
time on gretl and have relatively little experience working with
proprietary software.