[Gretl-users] Any hints?

Allin Cottrell cottrell at wfu.edu
Sat Jul 11 15:00:24 EDT 2009

On Sat, 11 Jul 2009, Pandolfi Antonio wrote:

> as a newbie I'm practicing with Gretl

Welcome to gretl-land.

> - and these are the problems:

> - I can't save any session file greater then 1.375K (more or
> less): is there any parameter to set, maybe?

There's no settable parameter, but there should be no size
limitation.  What version of gretl are you using and what error
are you getting?

I just tried opening Stock and Watson's big "Project Star"
dataset, estimated and saved a model, showed and saved a graph,
and saved the session, in a file of about 414 Kb.

waverley:~/src/build/gui2$ ls -l star.gretl
-rw-r--r-- 1 cottrell users 414283 2009-07-11 14:48 star.gretl

And the session file re-opened OK.

> - for panel data descriptive statistics, I am looking for
> something similar to Stata functions xtsum & xttab. Is there
> anything?

If you have a variable, say "unit", which identifies the
cross-sectional units in the data:

summary <varlist> --by=unit

(This requires gretl >= 1.8.2.)

See also the functions pmax, pmin, pnobs, psd (under Help/
Function reference).  We don't an equivalent of Stata's
xttab at present.