[Gretl-users] kde4 view LaTeX problem

Allin Cottrell cottrell at wfu.edu
Fri Jul 17 14:37:46 EDT 2009

On Fri, 17 Jul 2009, Talha Yalta wrote:

> Testing gretl on my new Pardus2009 system, I noticed that KDE4 uses
> the Okular program for viewing various files including DVI's. However,
> (after setting okular in the preferences-->Programs menu) LaTeX
> tabulars and equations cannot be viewed because upon opening, okular
> gives the error "cannot open .../.gretl/window" I can see that there
> is a window.dvi file in that location and okular can open it
> correctly.

Traditional DVI viewers are dedicated, and don't require the
".dvi" suffix.  OK, Okular does require the suffix.  Fixed in CVS.

> Also, when I close a 3D Plot window, the little "gnuplot: type q to
> quit" window stays open. When I close the gnuplot window, the plot
> correctly disappears with the gnuplot window though.
>
> Is there a way to avoid this gnuplot window altogeter?

I was going to say "No", but that's not entirely true.  It depends
on which gnuplot "terminal" type is being used to display the 3d
plot interactively on the X window system.  In current gnuplot
there are two possibilities, the x11 term and the wxt term
(WxWidgets).  Up till now I've been forcing use of the x11 term,
since when I last checked wxt was too slow and jerky at rotating
the plot.  But I see that's now fixed, so I've enabled wxt.

Anyway, the x11 driver needs a controlling terminal, so we can't
get rid of that little box, but wxt works fine without. Bottom
line: if your gnuplot is sufficiently up to date you won't see
that little terminal window again.

> Finally, defining a 3D plot, the GUI lets me choose a variable three
> times and then gives the error that it is "duplicated" It would be
> nice if the error message was more accurate and the variable is erased
> from the list once it is chosen for 2 axes.

The error message is perfectly accurate (triplication nests
duplication) but it's not appropriate.  There's no reason you
shouldn't be able to graph a variable against itself in 3
dimensions if you really want to.  Fixed in CVS.

Allin.