[Gretl-users] Undefined symbol get_gretl_rc_path

Gordon Hughes G.A.Hughes at ed.ac.uk
Tue Nov 3 10:11:23 EST 2009

I have just installed Ubuntu 9.10 on a old computer.  I downloaded
the current version of the gretl source and, after the usual process
of installing missing libraries, it compiled without any
problems.  However, when I try to run gretl I get an error message
saying "symbol lookup error: /usr/bin/gretl_x11: undefined symbol:
get_gretl_rc_path.

My understanding is that gretl creates the file gretl2rc. when it
first runs.  I have ensured that there is not an old version of this
file hanging around.  What else do I need to do?  Incidentally I have
checked that this does not happen when I install the earlier version
of gretl (1.8.1) from the Ubuntu repository, but I need to use the
current version to tidy up some of my functions before re-releasing them.

Gordon