[Gretl-users] randgen question

Allin Cottrell cottrell at wfu.edu
Tue Nov 17 09:12:13 EST 2009

On Tue, 17 Nov 2009, Talha Yalta wrote:

> I am trying to perpare a ML tutorial where there are T balls in a bag
> with a ratio of P=0.75 black balls and there will be 250 independent
> trials where 0<X<10 randomly chosen balls from the bag will show Y
> blacks.
> I create a new data set with 250 observations and create X with genr X
> = floor(randgen(u,0,11)
> After this, however, the command genr Y = randgen(b,0.75,X) does not work.
> Any suggestions?

randgen

Output: 	series
Arguments:	c  (character)
		a  (scalar)
		b  (scalar)

Giving a series for the third argument is not supported.

> Also a few bugs/problems that I have discovered along the way:
> 1)- Creating a binomial random does not work from the GUI. After
> creating a cross-sectional 50, Add --> Random variable and selecting
> binomial, I enter 0.5 10 and xx in the three boxes and clicking OK
> gives an empty error dialog box.

Ah, that's specific to the decimal character not being '.'. Now
fixed in CVS.

> 2)- I open the scalars window and if I first click on the name
> column, enter something and then click on the value column (or
> an empty pert of the window) I get the error: 'cc' -- no numeric
> conversion performed!

The arrow and enter keys work, but clicking didn't.  Fixed in CVS.

> 4)- If I keep pressing the add button, the scalars window will be
> filled with epmty rows of empty scalars with no x buttons to erase
> them.

The delete action is there, but the icon is not showing up.
Not fixed yet, but will be soon.

> 6)- Because the scalars window is now modal in the cvs, everything is
> frozen when it remains open.

Yes, that's what a modal window does.