[Gretl-users] Gretl, R & OS X

Allin Cottrell cottrell at wfu.edu
Sat Nov 28 14:32:15 EST 2009

On Sat, 28 Nov 2009, Berend Hasselman wrote:

> On 28-11-2009, at 03:31, Allin Cottrell wrote:
[snip]
> > In gretl, try going to /Tools/Preferences/General, and the
> > Programs tab, and change the "Command to launch GNU R" to:
> >
> > /usr/X11R6/bin/xterm -e R
> >
> > This works on OS X 10.4.11. (Broken Mac setup: /usr/X11R6/bin is
> > not in the default path even after installing X11.)
>
> I don't quite understand what is going on.
>
> In the Terminal what is the output of:   "which R"  (Leave out the quotes!)
> Why use xterm in "Command to launch GNU R"
>
> There are two options for the command:
>
> 1:  /usr/bin/R
> 2. /Applications/R.app/Contents/MacOS/R
>
> The first starts the command line version R and the second
> starts the R Gui.

I will try experimenting with the GUI variant.  Up till now I've
treated OS X as any other *nix, on the assumption that both xterm
and R will be in the PATH and that one can launch the command-line
R program in an xterm using "xterm -e R".

Testing on OS X 10.4.11 I realized that this didn't work -- not
because R wasn't found, but because xterm was not found.  Hence,
for the present I have made the default gretl "Rcommand" for OS X

/usr/X11R6/bin/xterm -e R

Allin.