[Gretl-users] Gretl, R & OS X

Berend Hasselman bhh at xs4all.nl
Sat Nov 28 15:48:18 EST 2009

On 28-11-2009, at 21:27, Henrique wrote:

> At first I would like to thank you (Allin and Berend) for your help!
>

> Em 28 de novembro de 2009 Alllin Cottrell <cottrell at wfu.edu>
> In gretl, try going to /Tools/Preferences/General, and the
> Programs tab, and change the "Command to launch GNU R" to:
>
> /usr/X11R6/bin/xterm -e R
>
> Ok, it worked just fine. But according to Gretl User's Guide (p. 217), assuming R was launched successfully, you will notice that two commands have been executed automatically:
>
> gretldata <- read.table("/home/username/.gretl/Rdata.tmp", header=TRUE) attach(gretldata)
> attach(gretldata)

For Mac OS X that would be /Users/<username>/.gretl/Rdata.tmp
The commands are in the file/Users/<username>/.gretl/Rsrc

> In fact, this doesn't occur.
>

> Em 28 de novembro de 2009 Berend Hasselman <bhh at xs4all.nl>
> I don't quite understand what is going on.
>
> I can't start R from Gretl (Menu -> Tools -> Start GNU R) on my Mac (Snow Leopard).
>
> In the Terminal what is the output of:   "which R"  (Leave out the quotes!)
> Why use xterm in "Command to launch GNU R"
>
> There are two options for the command:
>
> 1:  /usr/bin/R
> 2. /Applications/R.app/Contents/MacOS/R
>
> The first starts the command line version R and the second starts the R Gui.
>
> The first option doesn't work (nothing happens), but the second option does.

How have you installed R?
AFAIK /usr/bin/R  should be there. It is a link to /Library/Frameworks/R/.......
I use it to build/test R packages; I have never known it to not work.

Berend