[Gretl-users] Difference between pooled and panel data

John C Frain frainj at gmail.com
Tue Jul 12 16:29:03 EDT 2011

To me the term pooled refers to a type of model.  For example in a
fixed effects model is equivalent to having a distinct model for each
level of the factor that determines the panel.  Pooled OLS corresponds
to pooling the data set over all levels of the factor and estimating a
single OLS (assuming that the fixed effects are constant over all
levels of the factor. With a multilevel model pooling corresponds to
collapsing some levels of the  model to get a pooled model.  When some
individuals leave the panel and others join I would call this an
unbalanced panel.

Best Regards

John