[Gretl-users] diagcat

Riccardo (Jack) Lucchetti r.lucchetti at univpm.it
Fri Sep 28 06:20:51 EDT 2012

On Fri, 28 Sep 2012, Sven Schreiber wrote:

>>> Also, what happens if A and B are not square? (I know, I could just try
>>> that out, but too lazy, and that wouldn't necessarily answer what's
>>> intended as a result.)
>>
>> Nothing spectacular. You just have non-square zero blocks in the
>> north-east and south-west corners of the result.
>>

> At the risk of being pedantic: so a block-diagonal matrix is only
> returned if the inputs are square, otherwise it's just a block matrix.
> (w.r.t. the help text)

You're right, fixed in CVS. Also, my previous comment was wrong: when A
and B are not square, the zero NE and SW blocks of the resulting matrix
are not the transpose of each other. At the risk of being pedantic!

  Dipartimento di Economia

  Università Politecnica delle Marche
  (formerly known as Università di Ancona)

  r.lucchetti at univpm.it
  http://www2.econ.univpm.it/servizi/hpp/lucchetti