[Gretl-users] Value labels

Riccardo (Jack) Lucchetti r.lucchetti at univpm.it
Fri Aug 2 07:04:58 EDT 2013

On Fri, 2 Aug 2013, Giuseppe Vittucci wrote:

> I noted that the new version of gretl handles the value labels for
> string-valued variables when it imports a dataset.
> They are shown when I list the variable.
> I wonder if there is some way to access/modify/drop these labels.

At present, the feature is experimental and no, there's no built-in way.
The only thing you can do, at the moment, is

* save your dataset in xml form
* open the xml file and look for "valstrings"
* modify the xml file as desired

If you're thinking "this is way too complicated", you're right. Proper
support for string-valued variables is planned, but not a priority, unless
overwhelming popular demand convinces the development team ;)

   Dipartimento di Scienze Economiche e Sociali (DiSES)

   Università Politecnica delle Marche
   (formerly known as Università di Ancona)

   r.lucchetti at univpm.it
   http://www2.econ.univpm.it/servizi/hpp/lucchetti