[Gretl-users] String and Scalar Error

Sven Schreiber svetosch at gmx.net
Tue Aug 20 13:46:15 EDT 2013

Am 20.08.2013 15:55, schrieb Henrique:
> Dear Gretl Developers,
>

> I'm getting an error message when I try to run that script using the
> latest snapshot:
>
> <hansl> clear nulldata 200 setobs 12 2000:01 --time-series
>
> string data_1o_lim_sup = "2010:02" string data_2o_lim_sup = "2013:7"
> scalar n_exec = @data_2o_lim_sup - @data_1o_lim_sup + 1 </hansl>
>
> The message is: "Data types not conformable for operation".
>
> I'm a little bit confused because the same script works with Gretl
> 1.9.11cvs (build date: 2013-01-08).

I don't know why it worked it before and whether any of those behaviors
is a bug, but I would use the obsnum() function for these calculations.

(Although from my experience it can be a little fiddly to get the string
handling right in there..., i.e. whether you need to use
obsnum(datestring) or obsnum(@datestring) etc.)

hth,