[Gretl-users] Passing a list of series to a function

Riccardo (Jack) Lucchetti r.lucchetti at univpm.it
Mon Jul 29 04:33:25 EDT 2013

On Mon, 29 Jul 2013, Logan Kelly wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am using Gretl 1.9.12cvs on WIN 8. Is there a way to pass a list
> series to a function? I used the following function declaration:
>
> function void dplot(list lstDIV, string filetype, string strTitle[null], string strDisc[null])
>                string ddat = varname(lstDIV[1])
>                sprintf send "%s", date(firstobs(@ddat))
> end function
>
> but get this error
>
> The symbol 'DQ_us' is undefined
> *** error in function dplot, line 24
>> sprintf send "%s", date(firstobs(DQ_us))
>
> So I am able to pass the list but the individual series are not
> accessible? Anyway around this?

Using series names from a list within a function may be tricky, because of
possible name collisions. If I understood correctly what you want to do, I
suppose you can get some inspiration from the following small script:

<hansl>
function void myfunc(list X, scalar i)
     names = strsub(varname(X),","," ")
     printf "The %d-th series in %s is %s\n", i, argname(X),
        strsplit(names, i)
end function

open AWM -q
list A = 7 8 9 10 11
myfunc(A, 4)
</hansl>

   Dipartimento di Scienze Economiche e Sociali (DiSES)

   Università Politecnica delle Marche
   (formerly known as Università di Ancona)

   r.lucchetti at univpm.it
   http://www2.econ.univpm.it/servizi/hpp/lucchetti