[Gretl-users] model selection criteria

Summers, Peter psummers at highpoint.edu
Mon Sep 29 19:34:54 EDT 2014

Sven & Allin,

Thanks for the clarification!

Maybe it's because I'm primarily a time series guy, but my impression is that the info criteria are primarily used in time series -- before this semester (tomorrow, actually), I'd never taught them in a cross-section or panel context. Of course there's no reason not to...

At any rate, I think it'd be better to either a) eliminate that message or b) report the changes in all the relevant stats (adj-R^2, log-likelihood, & info criteria, assuming this is feasible). Option a has the advantage (imho) of forcing the user to confront issues of model specification directly, rather than relying on his/her software to make the decision. Of course there's always c) go back to referring to "information criteria" explicitly.

FWIW,
PS

Sent from my iPad