[Gretl-users] Breusch-Pagan test for Heteroskedasticity (Gretl-users Digest, Vol 100, Issue 3)

Alecos Papadopoulos papadopalex at aueb.gr
Mon May 4 11:34:04 EDT 2015

Graham,
I verified using your data set that Gretl calculates correctly the
Breusch-Pagan LM test for heteroskedasticity, *as described in the
original paper,**
*

A Simple Test for Heteroscedasticity and Random Coefficient Variation
Author(s): T. S. Breusch and A. R. Pagan
Source: Econometrica, Vol. 47, No. 5 (Sep., 1979), pp. 1287-1294
Published by: The Econometric Society
Stable URL: http://www.jstor.org/stable/1911963

The auxiliary regression is performed using the *scaled* squared
residuals as Dependent variable (as indicated in the Gretl's output),
and the statistic is 0.5*R^2*(Total Sum of Squares of the Dependent
Variable), the R^2 from this auxiliary regression, where I used the
exact same regression matrix of the main regression (constant + the
three regressors)

The scaling of the squared residual series is by the maximum likelihood
estimator for the variance from the original model, ie. sum of squared
residuals divided by nobs (not nobs-1).

Maddala's  Econometrics textbook (2001, 3d ed. pp 205-207) explains the
relation of the above statistic with the approach you implemented
(correctly) by hand, which is the "usual" way to obtain an LM statistic.
But these are only asymptotically equivalent, and in practice the
estimated sigma^4 is involved, whose estimation is seriously biased in
any case for samples much larger than yours.

So I do not think there is any bug or computational mistake involved,
just an (educative) case of asymptotic equivalence not materializing at
finite-sample level.
Personally I would go with the original Breusch-Pagan test statistic.

Alecos Papadopoulos
Athens University of Economics and Business, Greece
Department of Economics
cell:+30-6945-378680
fax: +30-210-8259763
skype:alecos.papadopoulos