[Gretl-users] how to match observations with 'join' and gdt files

Sven Schreiber svetosch at gmx.net
Thu Nov 19 13:25:11 EST 2015

Am 19.11.2015 um 15:33 schrieb Riccardo (Jack) Lucchetti:
> On Thu, 19 Nov 2015, Sven Schreiber wrote:
>
>> The sample and/or workfile ranges did not coincide, stopping the data
>> import.
>
> What do you mean exactly? Non-overlapping samples? Different
> periodicities? Both? Something else altogether?

Here are some self-contained examples:

<hansl>
nulldata 100	# same example data to be joined
setobs 4 2000:1
series x = normal()
store file1.gdt

nulldata 40	# shorter sample
setobs 4 2000:1
join file1.gdt x	# doesn't work

nulldata 120	# longer sample
setobs 4 2000:1
join file1.gdt x # doesn't work

nulldata 100
setobs 4 1990:1 # shifted but overlapping sample
join file1.gdt x	# works but is WRONG
</hansl>

With respect to the last example I know you are going to say it's a
feature not a bug, and the responsibility of the user. But I find this
worthy of at least a warning message. And in any case I was originally
asking about the non-working cases.

thanks,