[Gretl-users] WG: Re: TikZ

Allin Cottrell cottrell at wfu.edu
Fri Nov 20 12:14:25 EST 2015

On Fri, 20 Nov 2015, Riccardo (Jack) Lucchetti wrote:

> On Fri, 20 Nov 2015, Allin Cottrell wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 20 Nov 2015, juergen.malitte at t-online.de wrote:
>>
>>> Running the given skript on the recommended Internet-page I've got the
>>> message:
>>>
>>> "C:\Program Files (x86)\gretl\wgnuplot.exe"
>>> "C:\Users\malitte\AppData\Roaming\gretl\gpttmp.g09584": exit code 1
>>>
>>> Fehler bei Skriptausführung: Stopp
>>
>> Sorry, it should be made clear that this Lua-TikZ business is not going to
>> work with the wgnuplot executable that is bundled with gretl for Windows,
>> nor will it work using the gretl package for Mac OS X. It requires that the
>> Lua library is installed and gnuplot is built with Lua support (and of
>> course it's useful only if a TeX system is installed). For now it's
>> basically a Linux-only thing.
>
> I was under the impression that it's not impossible to have the Lua thing
> working under windows. See here for example (in French):
>
> http://perso.uclouvain.be/allan.barrea/opencv/gnuplot.html

Agreed, it's not impossible. It just won't happen with gretl on
Windows and Mac unless/until we cross-build the Lua Library, build
gnuplot linked against Lua, and include Lua in our package.

The only other way it could happen is if Windows users build or
somehow acquire a Lua-enabled wgnuplot.exe themselves and substitute
it for the one we package.