[Gretl-users] WG: append horizontal and vertical

Sven Schreiber svetosch at gmx.net
Tue Sep 19 09:46:27 EDT 2017

Am 19.09.2017 um 15:24 schrieb Schaff, Frederik:

>> Am 19.09.2017 um 11:36 schrieb Schaff, Frederik:
>>
>>> I am trying to load a bunch of data into gretl, with a structure
>>> similar to the attached files (time 1600), i.e. I have horizontal and
>>> vertical appending at the same time.

> Ok, I guess the script and files attached are self-explanatory, but I'll try to explain it without them.

Yes, sorry, I don't have time right now to look at your files in detail.

According to the help for 'append', your horizontal/vertical thing is
supported in principle. ("The appended data may take the form of either
additional observations on series already present in the dataset, and/or
new series.") AFAICS, "new series" is equivalent to your "horizontal",
and "additional obs" == "vertical".

Note the condition given in the help: "In the case of adding series,
compatibility requires either (a) that the number of observations for
the new data equals that for the current data, or (b) that the new data
carries clear observation information so that gretl can work out how to
place the values."
Is that the case for your files?

Also, using an explicit 'setobs' command after loading the first dataset
might possibly help.

good luck,